I started juicing fruit and veggies just over a month ago with my Omega J8006 Nutrition Center Commercial Masticating Juicer, Black and Chrome. When you juice fruits and vegetables in this type of juicer you end up with a substaintial amount of vegetable and fruit pulp.
Up until today I had been saving the pulp and putting it in my Soilsaver Classic Composter And though this is going to make for amazing compost, I have been feeling like something more could be done with this pulp than just tossing all of it to the composter. So I decided today to experiement with making veggie burgers and this is what I came up with and they tasted great. Better than any store bought veggie burger I have ever had.
Carmen's Juice Pulp Veggie Burgers
1 can black beans
3 cups juice pulp
3/4 cup chopped onion
1 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
2 eggs (could use egg substitute)
3 garlic gloves crushed
1 tsp. sea salt +/- (I didn't really measure this)
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
2 tsp. Chia seed
2 cups (+/-) crushed gluten free rice chex (you could also use bread crumbs or crackers) The amount will vary depending on the consistency of the pulp and how moist it is.
Dry Seasonings I used were as follows and could vary to taste:
1 tbls. parsley flakes
2 tbls. Italian seasoning
1 tbls. rubbed sage
1 tbls. cilantro leaves
1 tbls. grill mates / montreal steak seasoning
- dump drained black beans into food processor and lightly chop
- add in seasonings, olive oil, crushed garlic, sea salt, Parmesan cheese, chia seed and mix
- add eggs mix
- add rice chex about a half cup at a time until it reaches a consistency that you can make patties (kinda thick)
- divide and make into patties
- heat up frying pan over med heat with olive oil and cook until crunchy brown on each side. Makes about 8-10 burgers ~Serve with sliced avocado and enjoy!